Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ten Cent Therapy.

It’s ‘back to school’ time here in the good ol’ U. S. of A.

Yes, it is very strange to begin a school year way at the end of the calendar year. Yes, it is odd that kids here don’t get their long break over Christmas and New Year, as God intended. My Aussie readers will agree with me completely on these points.

However, my US readers will know right away that this is the time of year for ‘back to school’ sales bargains.

Since we begin our (home) school year in January (and I’m not the best at planning five months ahead of time) we don’t benefit a whole lot from these sales. I suppose if I got my act together I could buy up now and have big shiny piles of stationery (my Dad’s favourite thing in the world) beckoning us between now and the New Year. Realistically though, stuff doesn’t cost all that much here at the worst of times anyway.

All this doesn’t stop me from getting excited when I go through Wal-Mart lately – hey, I am my father’s daughter. Crisp, new folders (all the little metal rings still meet up properly, unlike every single one the kids have ever got their hands on). Solid packets of pencils, with all the colours still present and accounted for. Textas (that’s ‘markers’, y’all), erasers, staplers… notebooks.

Ten cent notebooks. Ah, heaven. I couldn’t help myself, I bought a bunch. Then I went back later and bought a bunch more. It was a lot easier to buy a stack of them than to buy only two (instead of the usual three).

At some point we may even use some of them for school.

At the moment, though, they’re therapy.

Laura and Oli now carry one with them, almost everywhere. Sam appears often in the pages. We are assured this is healthy.

It can be hard to know how to answer people when they ask how the kids are handling all this. We have some idea, but quite a lot of what is going on in their heads is still a mystery to us. We have to trust that their hearts and minds are being kept safe by the Father who knows them best.

But, for now, we are thankful for midnight conversations and ten cent notebooks.

4 comments:

birthblessed said...

Sounds like a great bargain, 10 cent therapy.

However, I cannot get out with my notebooks until I've gotten the 2.49 Dove bar with organic 60% cocoa, orange and spice. THEN it's really therapy.

Rachel Keyte said...

I'm glad the kids are diarising. I'm sure (in my humble, unqualified opinion) that it must be healthy, like you've been told.

I can SO relate to the excitement of stationery bargains. Officeworks is one of my favourite shops. And notebooks - Ah! The potential waiting to be fulfilled!

Kylie Watson, Adelaide said...

Ah! the joy. I have to wait til January but then there will be the Kmart (Australian) 5c notebooks. The fact that I still have left-overs from last January and the January before that is inconsequential - it is in the purchasing that the fun lies!

Kylie said...

Officeworks here in Australia is one of my favourite places!! I love buying stationery. :-)Laura and Oli writing down their feelings is a great idea.