Saturday, November 26, 2005

Cranberry 'salad'?

Well, this week we experienced our first ever Thanksgiving. We were pretty lucky to be invited to join with another family for the meal, so we got the genuine experience with no effort required from me! Let me begin by saying I completely get the point now. Mm mm good food and good company while the kiddies run around and play in the barn. Actually, we had a barn - I make no promises that all your future Thanksgiving meals will involve a barn. And I am completely in love with pumpkin pie. This is a big deal for me since pumpkin is not what I would consider one of my favourite foods. Actually, I barely consider it a food.

I have to say something about cranberry salad though...
Now, I gather that this particular dish is one my hostess's grandmother invented - so it may fit in the same category as barns (see above, re. barns). However, I feel that to apply the term 'salad' to the dish we ate is a very loose application of the word. I guess I'll always believe it aint salad if it don't have lettuce and tomatoes. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a nasty dish. Once I got past the 'Ok, this is a sweet thing being served at the same time as the savoury things' issue, I quite enjoyed it. I would pay good money, though, to go back in time to that kitchen long ago when someone first thought 'You know cranberries, Dairy Whip and marshmallows would make a tasty salad!'. For those of you who are not in the US, Dairy Whip is sort of like whipped cream... with preservatives. And for those of you who are thinking 'Aha! Now I have the secret recipe I can make my fortune!' - I believe there is a little more involved than just mixing those ingredients together.

Salad confusion aside, I thoroughly enjoyed my first Thanksgiving. I'm still a little fuzzy on the whole 'history behind the day' thing though. If you watched the Macy's Parade (as we did - oh yeah, we're embracing the culture over here) you kind of get the idea that the first Thanksgiving involved pilgrims and turkeys and marching bands... oh, and Garfield was there. As any self-respecting home schooling mother would do, I naturally went to the library in search of books about the day. Unfortunately, every other person had the same idea... and drove there quicker. So not a single book was left. Possibly next week then.

Still, the food was good. We made sure to put a whole heap of it in the freezer for Mike to sample when he gets back from Australia. We may hammer out some sort of 'Turkey for Tim-Tams' trade agreement with him.
NowI can hardly wait to see the look on his face when he tries the 'salad'......

No comments: